Monday, May 12, 2014

Social Justice Event: The Vagina Monologues


Oh, Vagina Monologues. This play really helped me open up and become less sensitive to these types of topics. The whole time I was listening to the monologues, I was thinking of the author Allan Johnson. Allan Johnson argues that it is important to say the words explicitly. Whether this is in a classroom setting or an everyday experience, if we don't become comfortable with using the words, we will always be weary to speak our mind or get our point across effectively. I feel like educators and people, in general, speak of sex with a negative connotation which can lead to many problems with youth. However, this play was the COMPLETE opposite.

I did some research on Eve Ensler who is a playwright, feminist and activist. This play was definitely risque. It caused a lot of controversy between feminists, politics and social conservatives. After seeing the play, I had a feeling some people wouldn't enjoy it and would be offended. However, I thought it was a fantastic way to show women that they can talk about these things because it is their body. If you ever get a chance to see the Vagina Monologues (just don't bring your parents because that would be super awkward) brace yourself and enjoy the empowering monologues from different perspectives. And remember, love your vagina!


No comments:

Post a Comment